Victorian kids will have more opportunities to play sports with their teammates and friends as part of a $45.2 million funding boost to get kids moving and help families with the costs of community sport, as we step towards COVID Normal and look forward to the things we love.
Now more than ever, Victorian kids deserve the chance to get outside and be active, and we will support up to 100,000 children to get back on the pitch, court, the nets or field – to play with their team. The $21 million Get Active Kids Voucher Program is a Victorian first and will support children to get involved in organised activities by providing $200 vouchers to help families with the cost of sports equipment, uniforms or memberships.
After the year that it has been, families need less to worry about as we recover, and we don’t want the costs of sport preventing kids from getting involved. The vouchers will be launched in early 2021 with eligibility criteria and details on how to apply to be announced in the coming months.
The package will also deliver more opportunities at school to participate in sport as part of the Active Schools program. More resources and expertise will be available to help Victorian students become more active, including:
- $7 million to support up to 481 government schools with an Active Schools funding boost to help meet the costs of running sport, outdoor education and active recreation programs after school, including forming partnerships with local sport clubs
- $5.7 million for a further 96 schools towards implementing a whole school approach to physical activity
- a new team of physical education leaders will provide on-the-ground advice and support to more than 800 schools to improve their approach to sport, physical education and physical activity
- trials of new and innovative approaches to increasing activity through several partnerships — including working with the start-up community to explore how technology can get teens moving, as well as adapting Deakin University’s Transform-Us! Program for secondary schools to get adolescents moving more and sitting less
- all schools will have access to a new Active Schools Toolkit, which will include tips and tricks on how to make their school and their kids more active
This package is a key focus of a new strategy to get Victorian kids more active both at school, home and in the community.