NAPTHINE BUDGET DESERTS VICTORIA’S ENVIRONMENT
Denis Napthine’s final budget has made more significant cuts to environment. This makes the Napthine Government one of the most environmentally disastrous governments in the state’s history.
The state budget confirmed that Denis Napthine has:
- cut $19 million from environment policy
- cut $46 million from environment programs
- cut $16.6 million from the management of forests, parks and public land
- ignored the recommendations contained in his own climate change adaptation plan, leaving communities unprotected about the potentially dangerous impact of climate change.
This comes after three years of years of cuts and a merger that neutered the environment department which resulted in over 500 jobs lost.
Quotes attributable to Ms Neville:
“This disappointing budget shows Denis Napthine is doing nothing on climate change.”
“Denis Napthine has no vision, no plan and commitment to Victoria’s environment.”
“Under Denis Napthine, you’re on your own.”
- The Napthine Government has slashed 508 staff from the Department of Environment and Primary Industries, limiting its effectiveness to undertake programs.
- From recently leaked documents DEPI has questioned its ability to undertake and achieve planned burning targets due to budget constraints, which means Denis Napthine will fail to undertake a key recommendation of the Bushfire Royal Commission.